WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- VR headset cardboard template
- Shoe box or pizza box
- Syringe or plastic straw
- Plastic water bottle
- Xacto knife
- Glue gun or epoxy
- Rubber band
HOW IT WORKS
In this tutorial, we will first make the homemade lens for the DIY VR headset. Later you will have to make the cardboard enclosure using the printable templates provided here. The lens used in these VR headsets helps to reduce the least distance of distinct vision and allows us to see the screen of our smartphone clearly from a few centimeters away.
STEP 1 – LENSES
- Find a water or plastic bottle with a good curvature and cut a 25mm diameter circle out using scissors. Make and cut at least 4 of these—you’ll need 2 pcs together to create a single biconvex lens.
- Seal all the circumference sides of the shape with glue and insert your straw. (Make sure not to get it on the lens itself, just the circumference).
- Wait for the glue to dry and add water to the end of the straw to fill up your lens. After the lens is full, cut the straw and glue the ends together to form a full seal.
- Repeat this process for the second lens.
STEP 2 – CARDBOARD
- Download the headset template here.
- Print the template out.
- Glue the template to your pizza or shoe box.
- Using the Xacto Knife, cut the template out.
STEP 3 – ASSEMBLY
- Place the pair of lenses you made earlier onto the eye-slot of the assembled VR headset. You can use the slots on the cardboard enclosure to place it firmly on the VR headset.
- Place your phone into the phone area and close the back.
WATCH THE VW ID.3 GET BUILT RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR EYES!
Learn how the Volkswagen MEB-based vehicles were conceived in the factory and explore what it takes to construct the new VW ID.3 in 6 unique experiences!
All content and photos © The Petersen Museum, used with permission