In this pandemic summer, Americans have hit the roads to get away, with AAA predicting an estimated 683 million road trips from July to September. That has also driven many owners to buy accessories that they may have overlooked until now.
Robert Gal, a senior manager of performance and accessories at Volkswagen, says the company has seen a “really big, year-over-year spike” in sales of its road trip-related accessories. Here’s a look at the Volkswagen accessories that have seen some of the largest increases in demand over the past several months.
- Hitch mounted bike rack: Bicycle sales nationwide have surged since the pandemic started, and so has the demand for hitch mount bike racks. Summer travelers can quickly and easily carry up to four bikes on the back of their Atlas, Atlas Cross Sport and Tiguan, with Volkswagen’s available hitch mounted bike racks. An alternative to the available roof-mount bike carrier, the SUV-dependent rack is easy to operate and can provide the user with easy hatch access should they need to reach the trunk. The rack’s unique bike arm design also features ratcheting bike tie-downs that help with easy loading and helps reduce the amount of contact between the bicycles.1
- Universal tablet holder: This kid-friendly accessory is the perfect gadget to help entertain younger passengers. Secured to the back of front seat headrests, the holder is adjustable and locks in a compatible tablet so backseat travelers can comfortably watch a movie, play a game or stream content on the road through the available on-board VW Car-Net® 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot.23 “Instead of investing in permanent headrest-mounted DVD players that are over a $1,000, you can [use] your own compatible tablets you bring from home,” Gal says. Bonus: the tablet holder base also features two shopping hooks for added utility when the tablet holder is not attached.
- Bumperdillo® protection plate: Sales of the Bumperdillo have surged over the past several months. Why? It’s a great shield to help protect your top bumper from the traditional wear and tear of unloading your outdoor adventure gear. Strong and self-adhesive, this easy-to-install rear bumper guard helps protect the car’s painted surface. “It’s a universal accessory that helps drivers keep their paint jobs intact” and provides travelers “a piece of mind,” says Roger Chung, Manager, Accessories Development at Volkswagen.4
- Rear sunshade: Looking to keep your passengers cool and shaded in the scorching summer heat? Volkswagen rear sunshades help reduce sun glare and heat and will help keep your kids and pets feel more comfortable in the backseat. The polyester fabric mesh, which has seen sales double in year-to-year sales, is custom made to fit to your specific Volkswagen model.5
- Base carrier bars: The carrier bars include a T-Slot channel, keyed end caps and the newest models include an integrated turn dial for easy installation. Adventure seekers can also purchase separate attachments, to help transport their skis, snowboards, kayaks, canoes, and other miscellaneous gear.5
- Privacy cover: Keep your travel and personal gear out of sight from onlookers with this retractable rear privacy cover. Use it in your Atlas, Cross Sport or Tiguan to help cover belongings in your trunk while you are out and about.6